Thursday, April 9, 2015

Be Free

Hey everyone! So in my introductory post, I mentioned that I will be talking about certain events like the Trayvon Martin shooting or the Mike Brown shooting. I also mentioned that I will be talking about certain movies and songs such as Be Free by J.Cole. In today's post, I would like to talk about Be Free. 

I love this song. I find it so deep and emotional coming from a rapper and hip hop artist like J.Cole. It is very moving and has great lyrics especially one of my favourite lines "all we wanna do is take the chains off". When I first listened to that part of the song, I was so touched. It reminded me that how discrimination was back then, is not much different then now. Yes, we have come a long way, but according to recent events such as the shootings and the Ferguson attack, history continues to repeat itself.

Now for a little bit of information on the song. J.Cole, inspired by the shooting of Mike Brown by police officers as well as the Ferguson attack, composed this song overnight, August 15th, 2014. Unlike his other music, it's not a hip hop or rap song. I'ts more of him singing raw lyrics with a slight beat in the backround. 

"Rest in peace to Michael Brown and every young black man murdered in America, whether by the hands of white or black. I pray that one day the world will be filled with peace and rid of injustice. Only then will we all Be Free." said J. Cole based on his song and the discriminatory acts against the black community.

I personally think that you all should listen to this song. It's great. It is so deep and moving with they way he really tells it how it is. It gets everyone to think twice about how to treat one another. I also love J.Cole and his music. He is so lyrically talented, but even without the rap in this song, I think it is the best track he's ever made just because of the touching, emotional lyrics.


xx until next time xx

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog Kaylee! I also am a fan of J Cole and know this song. To me its also a really deep and meaningful song that was written by a rapper who most likely knows what its like to be discriminated. I'm glad to see other people who care about such an important topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alec! I'm glad you know this song. I think its great, I love it so much just because of the meaning behind it and how it represents black discrimination. You don't find good music like this often with a strong meaning behind it.

      Delete