Sunday, June 21, 2015

Racial Discrimination or Self Defense?

Hey everyone! I hope you've been enjoying my posts. I always encourage others to leave comments asking a question about my topic if they're curious and would like to know more! Well in one of my previous posts, someone asked me a question many of you have probably had in your head for awhile and never thought to ask. But here it goes: How can we distinguish between actual cases of racism/discrimination, and situations where violence is justified as self defense?

 Now I understand it can be hard to distinguish both situations but take the Mike Brown case for example. Mike Brown only stole a couple cigarette packs from the convenience store, now as punishment for that I can imagine being arrested and getting fines but he did not have to be shot and killed. He was unarmed and he put his hands up to surrender, clearly showing he was not a threat to the public or the police department. In this case it became a racial discriminatory shooting, he was killed simply because he's black. No act of self defense was needed because he was unarmed and he surrendered. Now if he was armed and approached the cop and tried to hurt him, the self defense should be acceptable, but that wasn't the case here. 

 I think that if an officer is trusted with a weapon, he should know when to use it in appropriate case like self defense and not racial discrimination cases. Basically all Ii am trying to say is that to distinguish racial discrimination and self defense is to look at the facts, for example was the officer threatened, did the committing party surrender? So on and so forth. Just make sure to look at the facts.

xx until next time xx

No comments:

Post a Comment